A Message from Rick Riley-Benoit
Gray-New Gloucester Middle School Families:
As we enter the winter season, the possibility of a “snow day” increases! In order to prepare for these days, I wanted to share a little information.
If we know there is a good chance we will not be in school, we will plan for a day of remote instruction. If there is an unexpected weather event, it will be a more traditional snow day. If we have a remote school day, attendance is still required of students in all classes. The schedule for remote days will be as follows (it is a slightly modified Early Release Day Schedule):
- 11:30-12:00 Teacher lunch break
- 12:00-2:00 Open office hours (students should email teachers for a zoom link or email questions to the teacher)
Staff will provide Zoom links on the night before or day of remote learning. All assignments, as usual, will be posted on Google Classroom. Hopefully we do not need to utilize this soon!
Band and Chorus
The GNGMS Winter Concert will be on Tuesday, December 5, at 6:00. Come and support our band and chorus students and kick off the season with some winter holiday music!
Congratulations to our band and chorus students who auditioned for the District 2 Honors Music Festival! The following students were selected to represent GNGMS at the District 2 Honors Vocal Festival on January 27, at Windham High School: Benjamin Fortin, Isaac Colby, Sawyer Cote, Isana Bell, Isibella Hulit, Jeidy Varela, Finley Bishop, Laila Anjjar, Colleen Buruga and Ainsley Harris.
Hazel Waterman was selected to perform at the District 2 Honors Instrumental Festival on Saturday, February 3, at Deering High School.
NJHS (National Junior Honor Society)
Thank you to all who donated to the Thanksgiving baskets to support our community, and an extra big thank you to our NJHS members. We are proud of the work you do!
Social and Dance
Our social for grades 5 & 6 will be on December 8, from 2:00-4:00P.M. Our next dance for grades 7 & 8 will be held on December 8, from 7:00-9:00P.M.
- All school policies and dress codes apply to students while at the social and dance including cell phone use.
- The cost of admission is $5. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
- Permission slips for social will be handed out in advisory and must be signed and returned to Advisors prior to the day of the social.
- A yearly dance contract must be signed and submitted to the office to attend dance.
- If you are willing to donate any individually wrapped food items or drinks, all of the proceeds will benefit the hosting teams.
- We also need parent volunteers to help chaperone the dance! If you are interested, please complete the volunteer application in this link or in the main office and the district will run a background check. Approved applications are good for the 2023/24 school year.
Lost and Found
Last chance. Our lost and found will be cleared out of the building on 11/22 (the end of our first trimester). If your student is missing clothing, water bottles, lunch boxes etc. please have them check the table across from the office or ask one of the secretaries. Personal items-including watches, jewelry, Invisalign and ear buds are kept in the main office.
The Gray/New Gloucester Middle School Drama Club will begin the winter session the first full week of December. We will be doing the musical THE NIFTY FIFTIES.
Auditions for actors and stage crew interviews will be as follows in the cafeteria after school from 2:00-4:00P.M. as follows:
- Grades 7 & 8: Tuesday, December 5
- Grades 5 & 6: Thursday, December 7
Sign-ups will be outside of the nurse’s office after the Thanksgiving break. Students can also pick up an
audition/interview packet for the show outside the office. For any questions, please contact email@example.com or see Miss G. In Room 231.
The show will be on the big stage April 4, 5, and 6, 2024.
News from the Library
All MSAD 15 students are eligible for a free Gray Public Library library card. They may be obtained at the Gray Public Library or students can see Mrs. Lamoureux in the GNGMS library for the paperwork and we can facilitate the process (for GNGMS students only) through school.
Questions can be directed to Kristi Lamoureux at firstname.lastname@example.org.
District Wide Science Fair
The MSAD 15 District-Wide Science Fair will return on April 25, 2024. This year’s Fair is called the ‘Robo Expo’ and will feature robotics demonstrations along with amazing student projects. The planning committee seeks student artists to create this year’s Science Fair Logo, and we are hosting a design contest! Please see the attached flyer for all the details. Entries are due by December 1 and can be submitted to the main office.
Updated November 17, 2023