Work Permits Maine law states at what age minors may work in specific industries. Minimum ages under Federal law are different. Contact the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division at 780-3344 (Portland) or 945-0330 (Bangor) for details.

Students aged 14-15 need to apply for a work permit.

Students aged 16 and older do not need a permit.

Process to Obtain a Work Permit

● The Student needs to be promised a job from employer, prior to applying for a work permit

● The parent or legal guardian needs to go to the Superintendent’s Office, 14 Shaker Road,Gray, ME (the student does not need to be present).

● The parent needs to bring the student’s birth certificate or passport as well as a copy of the student’s most current rank card.

● The name, address, and phone number of where the student will be working is needed, as well as rate of pay.

● Once the permit is completed, it is sent to the Department of Labor in Augusta for approval. The Department of Labor will return either an approved or denied permit to the Superintendent’s Office. One copy is kept at the Superintendent’s Office; the other copy will be emailed to the student to take to their employer. This process generally takes 2-4 business days.

● If the student changes jobs, they need to apply for another work permit until they reach 16 years of age. State of Maine Work Permit Application


State of Maine Work Permit



Updated April 4,  2023